Friday, November 28, 2008

The Lawyer in thongs

Thongs are a great measure of happiness, they are a sign of warmer weather and the lazy freedom of student days. When I have a pair on my feet I feel like all is well with the world. Second only to the exquisite pleasure of bare feet, they instantly lift my mood and make me feel grounded which is so very important for an earth sign like me. Yep, I've done it again. Gradually got comfortable in the office to the point where most days I wear thongs. Was a lot quicker this time, I wonder if it's because I feel sort of like I'm travel/working? As a girl who has an incredible dislike of pantihose I'm not sure what I was thinking when I signed on for this law caper. To speak of which I have now officially finished my degree and am graduating in December. I did well enough in my final paper to maybe just scrape into first class honours depending on things get calculated. Big relief (and very exciting for me because i never thought I'd make the grade) however I'm not feeling very smart today, how many times do you need to make yourself sick before you stop choosing to raise hell at the pub as a method of celebration???

So now I have the first bit of paper (and yes there's another one still to go) but am I prepared to whack on a pair of stockings? It was towards the end of my degree before I looked around and the horrible truth dawned on me like a prickling hot cold flush - most women lawyers wear pantihose and heels. Can I face a lifetime squishing all my womanly curves into a restricting mesh that tears at the slightest touch only the devil himself could have designed?

Well native title could be the answer! Where else can i work with lawyers who wear akubras and work boots to the office and would be more likely to use pantihose on a guest appearance in Bush Mechanics then as a wardrode 'must have'? I am settling here and I think I'm coming to quite like it. I leave Perth tomorrow, Geraldton will be the next test, and from there to Mt Magnet, the towns keep getting smaller and I suspect stockings on the legs of lady lawyers will be harder and harder to find. But apparently so will thongs, they aren't great snake shoes you see!

1 comment:

Olyal said...

I hate pantyhose too!
Congratulations on getting your degree! Fabulous news!
I will reply to your e-mail next week I promise!
Love from all of us!
xoxo